The following true story is told about Mr. Obama, but I believe it applies to each and every (career-) politician out there:
President Obama walks into the Bank of America to cash a check. As he approaches the cashier he says, “Good morning Ma’am, could you please cash this check for me?”
Cashier: “It would be my pleasure sir. Could you please show me your ID?”
Obama: “Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn’t think there was any need to. I am President Barack Obama, the president of the United States of AMERICA!!!!”
Cashier: “Yes sir, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the Dodd/Frank legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID.”
Obama: “Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am.”
Cashier: “I am sorry Mr. President but these are the bank rules and I must follow them.”
Obama: “I am urging you, please, to cash this check.”
Cashier: “Look Mr. President this is what we can do: One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his check.”
“Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racquet and made a fabulous shot whereas the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his check.”
“So, Mr. President, what can you do to prove that it is you, and only you, as the President of the United States?”
Obama stood there thinking, and thinking and finally says: “Honestly, my mind is a total blank… there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can’t think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do.”
Cashier: “Will that be large or small bills, Mr. President?”
The first time I heard about the IT Crowd was from Cory Doctorow in one of his BoingBoing posts. Thanks to pirates I was able to watch the show despite not being in the UK, and I was instantly hooked on the show.
After a few seasons I re-visited the IT Crowd in one of my posts from 2009 but now, finally, there are some clips of it on the interweb, so that, for all of you who don’t know these master pieces of television yet, I can share some of the highlights.
I love automating things, even though sometimes I have the idea that the time to create the automation seems longer than it would have taken to do it manually.
Right now I am considering to find that plugin for firefox again that allows me to automate filling a form. I know I had this before I updated my computer but I just can’t remember it any more what the name was.
Mostly I need this to fill out a non-standard form on an e-commerce site when I have to do some test purchases. When I ran into this graphic…
… I decided it’s better to do it right away instead of waiting through the initial straight line that I have in common with the non-geek.
At the Porcupine Freedom Festival which is held annually in NH by the Free State Project, a person, who I only know as Emily, delivered the rant I want to present here in a free transcription.
The usual argument against a society without the state (anarchy) is that we would first sink into total chaos (another meaning of anarchy, yet not the right one) and then organized crime would take over.
Let’s assume that this is true – which it probably is not – but let’s just look at it for the sake of argument, and we find out quickly that we would still be better off with the Mafia than the current ‘state’ of affairs.
10. The Mafia has a sense of honor – when they say they do something then they do it. That is not the case with people running the state. (Ed. comment: this is self-evident if you look from which ‘professional’ group the members are generally recruited.)
9. The Mafia’s code of conduct is simple and clear. There is no legal double-talk and not millions of rules and regulations.
8. When two families of the Mafia go to war they do not create millions of fatalities as collateral damages. For the Mafia that would be just bad for business.
7. Instead of conducting a war on drugs the Mafia is happy to provide quality products to those people who desire them.
6. When you buy protection from the government, you get protection. The Mafia limits violent crimes in the area they protect instead of just giving you a phone number to dial when you become a victim of violence.
5. The protection of the Mafia is much less expensive at 10 to 15% of your profits versus at least 40 to 50% for the current legal syndicate.
4. Unlike the government the Mafia actually wants your business to succeed. They know that ruining your business makes you unable to pay for their protection. They also don’t impose a huge overhead of paperwork and force you to fill out reams of self-incriminating confessions (tax forms.)
3. The Mafia will not keep you from having guns to protect yourself. The Mafia will gladly sell you the means to protect yourself.
2. Different than the state the Mafia will not regulate what you do in your bedroom. Instead they will offer for sale all the things you might need to increase your enjoyment.
1. Members of the Mafia have style, dress much better and are a lot easier on the eye than government bureaucrats.
The added advantage of having the Mafia being in charge is that the ‘protected’ do not believe that the organized crime lords have a god-given right to rule us (as most people believe the government has.) This will make it much easier for competition which will then drive down prices – something that will always happen in a free society.
Got a new – video uploaded – notification from Youtube today, titled Speculum.
First on watching I was not quite sure what to make of this. Was that another message from some wise race that is talking to mediums to tell us that eventually they will save us?
But soon it became clear what the message was and I liked the use of a fable to get the message across.
This reminded me of a George Carlin bit that I meant to look up for a long time in which he tells us that god will punish us for any infraction of his law by making us burn in hell – – but that he loves us!
I could not possibly imagine a kid that is not dreaming of a tree house. I certainly was, but I never actually had one.
Some of us remain this kid and can’t wait to have a kid with the same dream and then finally fulfilling that dream, as now the resources are available.
The closest I ever was at a tree house was actually a tree deck – the dad of one of my son’s friends, a welder, had built a deck for his son – maybe himself. As a welder he used the materials he was familiar and so the stairs going up the tree were a steel spiral staircase. And the deck itself was constructed from steel as well. So, I was not quite sure if it was actually the tree supporting the deck/house or vice versa.
Deep down inside me, the idea of a tree house must have always been in a slumber, because when the pictures below reached my inbox – thanks, Beverly – a dream woke up…
It is many years ago now that I heard this piece of Tom Mabe in which he torments a telemarketer by pretending to be a police officer at a murder scene.
But at that time I did not know his name, Tom Mabe, and had no idea how to ever find this jewel again.
Thanks to random browsing and a friend on facebook I finally have been reunited again with this unique way to cause a telemarketer to change his job. In order not to lose sight again I put it here on my blog – it’s not for your benefit, dear reader, because if you know enough about it you can find it everywhere. By adding the right tags to this post I hope to be able to find it again here on my own blog, if I want to show it to a friend.
Maybe you are that friend…
Isn’t it amazing how Tom exactly mimics the authority of a cop and how much compliance this poor schmuck displays – – – just as we all do towards cops we encounter. Maybe we should learn from that – maybe that cop we encounter is the schmuck and we should not bow to him/her?